Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Day 7 of the 21 Day Daily Data Challenge

Hey, hey, hey, it's Day 7 of the 21 Day Daily Data Challenge!  How are you doing?  Have you been able to do one small task each day?  We are one-third of the way through!

Today's challenge was to find your Early Warning System data. For anyone unfamiliar with that term it is describing students who will need extra attention and support from the School Counselor.  These students may also be referred to as students at risk or in danger of dropping out. County by county state by state, each one has a a different name and different criteria for identifying this group.  In my county students with excessive discipline referrals, suspensions and absences are on this list.  As are students who are over age for their grade, have been retained, receive ESE or ELL services or scored a 1 or 2 on state standardized testing.

The good news is I found the Early Warning System data with no problem.  However there were 2 report options distinguished only by a numerical code.  So I just chose one and printed it.  It was not the report I have seen in the past, but it had all the data I needed.  I was satisfied. But then, being the curious type, I just had to go for the second report.  So I selected report #2, clicked to print, and my computer screen did a blip.  Anyone with an ancient school system computer knows that is never a good thing.  However, I was still at the same screen but now with a red lettered message that told me I was not authorized to view that report.  Okay fine, I had my data, but now I am locked out of  viewing or printing any reports at all. That's going to be a problem.  I don't know what was so super secret about report #2, but it must be a doozy and now I really want to know what I am not authorized to view!

Tomorrow is Day 8 of the 21 Day Daily Data Challenge. Our task is to locate Climate Survey Data of any and all types.  I know our School Improvement Committee did a climate survey with parents, teachers, and students. That means 3 separate sets of data.  As a Behavior Leadership Team (aka the BLT, not the sandwich) we are interested in surveying our faculty regarding our PBIS plan. That 's another set of data. And last of all, each year I like to survey my 3rd-5th grade students on their internet usage and their experiences with bullying and cyber-bullying.  What kind of data regarding school climate is available at your school?

Just a reminder if you would like to know more about the 21 Day Daily Data Challenge you can read all about it HERE.  There is still time to join!
Also please stop by the Exploring School Counseling Facebook page to give us a like or leave comments or photos related to your data round-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment