Friday, April 24, 2015

Day 5 of the 21 Day Daily Data Challenge

It's Day 5 of the 21 Day Daily Data Challenge and today was about the discipline data. This challenge was particularly easy for me because I already had all the data on my computer in folders.  Somehow, about 7 years ago, I was fortunate enough to get in the email group of individuals who receive this data from the district each quarter. This is the data I have used most consistently for the last 7 years, but I realize now not as effectively as I could have. And that's okay, because this challenge is about learning and growing and making changes not just in how we use data, but in how we view the data we are using.

As I printed and reviewed  the multiple tabs included with my discipline data report, I realized I needed a form to summarize it all on one page. My discipline data comes in an Excel file with 9 tabs.  Each tab contains a page listing data and putting it in a colorful circle graph. This is all very nice, but I really think I need to get work on creating a summary page for a quick view and easier comparison. Maybe some of you feel the same way after looking at your discipline report data.   I plan to have a form ready by the time we start disaggregating discipline data on Day 11.

Monday will be Day 6 of the 21 Day Daily Data Challenge and we will be gathering report card data on the D's and F's and unsatisfactory marks in conduct.  This data can be a great source for study skills and social skills groups. Gathering the report card data is going to be difficult for me because these are reports I don't know how to run. I have a few ideas about who might be able to help and I'm not afraid to ask. Locating data is kind of like a Scavenger Hunt I think. The hunt can be frustrating, but the find is exciting.

If you are participating in the 21 Day Daily Data Challenge, please share your experiences on the Exploring School Counseling Facebook page.  If you are hearing about the 21 Day Daily Data Challenge for the first time and interested in learning more, you can read more about it HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment