Monday, April 27, 2015

Day 6 of the 21 Day Daily Data Challenge


Day 6 of the 21 Day Daily Data Challenge and I'm on the hunt!

Locating the report card data for D's and F's was easy. However, finding the conduct data on the report cards was a different story.  My search on 2 different platforms for housing data at my district were unsuccessful.  No worries though, my talented School Psychologist is great at pulling all sorts of data, so she will be my "go to" person on her next visit to my school.

The report card data I found is on an electronic grade book system we use in our district and approved staff are able to pull specific reports for grades, attendance, and behavior.  I found some cool reports I did not know existed, like a student profile report.  This report gives a student's attendance, grades, and any discipline referrals all in one personalized sheet.  What a great resource when meeting with students for any of these critical areas to show how one impacts the other.  I was excited to find this one!  It's amazing the helpful reports available on your district's computer platform if you just have the time and know where to look. Part of what I love about this data challenge is how it has gotten me looking at some resources I had not explored before.

I think the most shocking thing about today's data challenge was the number of students with D's and F's.  This will require some deeper digging and hopefully will correlate with the conduct/effort/social rating of each student.  I can tell already I have my work cut out for me with so many D's and F's.

Tomorrow is Day 7 of the 21 Day Daily Data Challenge.  The challenge is to locate Early Warning System data.  Just in case the term Early Warning System is not familiar to you, it is also called "students at risk," "drop-out prevention," or some other name that refers to students who may meet many of the following criteria: are over age for their grade, have been retained, receive ESE or ESOL services, have D's or F's, have standardized test scores below expectations, have excessive absences, and have excessive discipline referrals.  The criteria and name may be different in your district but I imagine you have something similar to this that helps identify those students who may need more of your services.

Please be sure to share your experiences on the Exploring School Counseling Facebook page and please give it a LIKE.  If you are not familiar with the 21 Day Daily Data Challenge, you can read more about it HERE.

We're one third of the way through! (and it's still not to late to join) I hope you are learning where your data is located, and how you can access it for yourself.  This is an awesome thing you are doing to move your School Counseling program in a data driven direction. Data driven results not only show how students are different because of what School Counselors do, but it shows  your administrators the the value you can add to your school! Keep up the good work!

No comments:

Post a Comment