Friday, May 1, 2015

Day 10 of the 21 Day Daily Data Challenge


Wow!  Day 10 already!  And now that we have all that data collected, and I have great big stack, it's time to start doing some analyzing.  Today we will disaggregate attendance data.  I have been working with my School Social Worker this year on addressing some of our most serious cases.  So I am proud to say as I look at the list of students who have excessive absences, 30 or more, we have been in contact with these families and in all but one case have gotten feedback on the problem and have offered support for their individual situations.

As I am going over my data I am finding a surprising trend among Hispanic males.  They have the most days tardy.  Not all Hispanic students, just the males.  And we're not just talking a dozen or so, but tardies in the 50's and 60's and one with over 100!  Until I began to look at the attendance data in this way, I was unaware of this trend.  This is an issue I need to discuss with our ESOL teacher, the classroom teachers, and parents. Are there barriers to these students getting to school on time?  Do the parents know the correct time for the start of the school day?  So before I can set a goal I need to do some investigating to learn more about why these boys are frequently tardy.  What interesting trends have you found?  Were you able to set an attendance goal for your students?  Be sure to share your results on the Exploring School Counseling Facebook page!

Monday will be Day 11 of the 21 Day Daily Data Challenge.  It will be the day for disaggregating discipline data.  This is data we have reviewed with our BLT each quarter, but I feel there is much more to be learned when we do more than just review the numbers.

If you are interested in learning more about the 21 Day Daily Data Challenge click HERE to read all the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment