Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Day 18 of the 21 Day Daily Data Challenge

As the day gets closer to implementing my data-driven intervention, I get more excited!  I can't wait to see how my students respond!

If you are participating in the 21 Day Daily Data Challenge, it is time to make your preparations to implement your action plan. Begin by setting your start date, sending home permission slips if needed (here is a sample of the one I use) and giving your pre-test. In my district I only have to send a permission home for small group sessions. And since I am going to measure something I am already doing, (small group for behavior) as Trish Hatch suggested, that part is covered. What I am missing is the pre-test.  Due to scheduling conflicts both today and tomorrow, I will not  be able to give the pre-test until the beginning of  our group on Friday.


DAY 19
Implementation day for your action plan!  Get ready!

Read more about the 21 Day Daily Data Challenge HERE and follow Exploring School Counseling on Facebook to share your data experiences.


Thoughts to Share
I keep wondering, will the data I collect from this intervention show an impact?  If it does,will I be able to duplicate my success?  But, what if my intervention does not indicate success?  What if the students make no gains in their attitudes, skills, and knowledge? What if the whole intervention is a disaster?  To be honest, I will definitely be disappointed, but I truly think I will be okay with that outcome as well.  I have always told my own children, especially in their teen and college years, you learn just as much from your mistakes and what doesn't work as you do from your successes.  If you don't give up and have a pity party, or get embarrassed because things didn't go as you had hoped or expected, doesn't that provide just as much information?  Isn't knowing what doesn't work and what not to do just as valuable?  

As a School Counselor, for too many years, I have operated on what was cute and convenient and not really looked at what would provide the greatest impact to my students.  I am truly excited to see the results of my data-driven action plan. One way or another, whatever the results, I will have a better idea about what is most beneficial to my students.  And really, I think that's all any School Counselor wants.

No comments:

Post a Comment