Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Day 13 of the 21 Day Daily Data Challenge

Today is day 13 of the 21 Day Daily Data Challenge.  I'll admit it has not been easy getting in the data each day and blogging about it each evening.  Students, parents, and teachers all have intensified needs with only 19 days of school left. My time and attention to all the demands has been very divided.  But then, who am I kidding?  You all know, it's like this most every day. I guess there's just more pressure when you know there are so few days left to get it all sorted before the last bell rings.

Early Warning System Data
Today the challenge was to disaggregate your data that identifies your students at risk. In our district it has been called by many names. The current title is Early Warning System Data which I like better than at risk or drop-out prevention.  The criteria are the same, but I just like the idea or identifying early the students who have risk factors that may negatively impact their academic success.  On my list were 11 names, that's 2% of my student population.  Eight of those names were intermediate grade students. Nine were students who had been retained,  9 were ESE, 7 had attendance issues, 7 had scored a 1 on the state standardized test and all but one had multiple referrals.  As I look at these students it is hard to know where to begin.  It is sad to see students with so many factors already stacked against them.  I  can only imagine how disheartening school and all its demands must be.  The solution to this problem is not one to be shouldered by the School Counselor alone.  A brainstorming session with all stakeholders is needed to generate ideas for more support and assistance to each of these students and their families. This has to be a team effort.

Tomorrow
Day 14 is about disaggregating Climate Survey data and boy do I have a lot of that!  I have data from teachers, students and parents regarding our school and bully/cyberbully data from 3rd, 4th and 5th graders.

If you have been following the 21 Day Daily Data  Challenge  and would like to share your experiences, please go to the Exploring School Counseling Facebook page or share in the comment section below.  If you are not familiar with the 21 Day Daily Data Challenge and are interested in learning more, please click HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment